Friday, October 12, 2007

About Whining

Some people say that whining is a foolish thing to do. They say that people should go through life without ever complaining about anything. Just "tough it up" and go on, no matter what happens, and never stop to analyze anything that's happening to you. Why whine--it's not going to change anything. (Ever notice that these are the people who tend to be the biggest whiners, who can't stand for even a second to have the attention taken off of them and put onto someone else? The sort of people who will make up a problem in order to one-up your own real problem.)

Psychologically though, whining fulfills an important function. What those uneducated people term whining is actually the process of venting, whether it's done in private in a journal or with a trusted friend, or publicly on a blog like this one. It's a way to work through emotions that will do a person more damage if they're kept inside than if they're released in some form. Therefore, when I'm stressed out about something, when I'm feeling gloomy and a bit sorry for myself, expect to see a few "whines" here on my blog. It helps me to focus on my problems and to work my way through them. I've chosen to make these entries public because I appreciate the support and helpful comments I get from my friends and family. To those of you who have suggested that I (and others like me) stop whining, here's my advice to you: Stop reading my blog!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I agree! "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." Isn't just a phrase from our childhoods. It's something people should apply to their everyday lives.

Telling you to knock it off, quit whining or tough it out is just dismissing your feelings and experience. No one deserves that.

John Hanscom said...

"... They say that people should go through life without ever complaining about anything. Just "tough it up" and go on, no matter what happens, and never stop to analyze anything that's happening to you...."

Someone said a life not analyzed is not worth living. Toynbee [sp?] said the people who do not learn from their own history are doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Freud said the most important kind of analysis is self-analysis.

How is your cold? Are you feeling any better?

Prairie Brown said...

My cold is much better. Thanks! I'm feeling pretty much back to normal (after sleeping all of last weekend away in a NyQuill doze).