Friday, January 11, 2008

On Commuting

With the new job comes a new commute to work. Instead of five minutes on back streets, I now spend 35 minutes (each way) on the freeway to get to work. I don't mind spending the time in my car. It gives me a chance to sing along with the radio without torturing anyone else with my tone-deafness and to plan out my day or reflect on my day. I don't mind the drive in the least because it's a gorgeous drive, with Rainier towering in the distance and the beautiful Seattle skyline, Space Needle and all, beside me most of the way. I don't even mind being stuck in traffic, because it gives me more time with my thoughts, and I so rarely get time all to myself. In fact, I wouldn't mind commuting in the least, if it weren't for one thing.

People are jerks. Heaven forbid anyone yield to let anyone else merge onto the freeway. And don't even attempt to change lanes during rush hour--you're stuck in the lane you're in, whether you want to be there or not; no one will let you in to another lane. Never mind that traffic is moving at 5 miles an hour, and one more person going in front of you will delay you by approximately three seconds. It also appears to be imperative to follow the car in front of you so closely that the driver of the car in front of you cannot see your headlights, and indeed might not even know you're there--and to continue this whether traffic is moving at 5 miles an hour or 60. I was almost rear-ended tonight when traffic momentarily sped up to 40 then abruptly slowed to 15, and the moron behind me, who I hardly knew was there because he/she was following so closely, had to drive onto the median to avoid smacking into me. (When I learned to drive, Mom told be to imagine a pole four car-lengths, separating me from the car in front of me. The pole is unbendable. If someone cuts between me and the car in front of me, a new pole automatically appears, and I adjust. That way I always have enough space to stop, and no one needs to cut me off. Not that this stops people from cutting me off--oh no. Even though they don't need to, they seem to enjoy cutting as close to my bumper as they can, perhaps to show their driving skill.) People are selfish when it comes to freeway driving. Yes, we all want to get where we're going. That's why we're on the freeway in the first place. Still, behaving like we're the only ones on the road isn't going to get us where we're going any more quickly or safely. I'd rather be delayed by two minutes than cause an accident. I only wish other people felt the same way. I'd enjoy my commute thoroughly were this the case. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

2 comments:

John Hanscom said...

My musical son is with someone tone-deaf? Whodathunkit???

Everyday I can, I walk to the PO and Carrs and back, and it gives me the same meditative time you experience in your drive.

The only thing I can say about the others on the road is it is not limited to Seattle. Every time it snows in Anchorage, it is as if it has never, ever snowed before in Anchorage. If you have time, check out

http://www.hanscomfamily.com/?p=13720

I was also taught to leave a good distance between my car and the one in front of me, and so many people take advantage of this I feel as if I might end my trip way before the place the trip began.

Good luck on the freeways, and you are in our prayers nightly.

Prairie Brown said...

My complete lack of any musical ability doesn't mean I don't appreciate these skills in other people. I think I'm more prepared to admire Michael's wonderful musical ability because I don't have any of my own. I thoroughly enjoy music, and I think people who can produce it are amazing. We have an agreement: Michael provides music and I cook. Everyone has their own set of talents, and if different people have different talents, the home is just that much more enhanced. We spend a lot of time talking about how much we like our home.