Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Eve

Thanksgiving Eve is a truly bizarre time to be at the grocery store. The parking lot was completely packed full. Every cart in the store was in use (thank goodness I only needed one small box of jello). People were jammed into every aisle, zombie-like as they scanned the picked-over shelves looking for the perfect ingredients for their holiday traditions. One man was standing in front of a huge case that used to be full of frozen turkeys, looking bewildered at the three semi-frosted turkeys left in the ice at the bottom of the case. A woman on a cell phone shrilled, "I can't believe they're out of pumpkin pie filling!"

I grinned as I grabbed the last box of lime jello on the shelf and scampered to the check stand. The clerk snapped out of her holiday-rush glaze to give me a strange look as I got in line behind people with carts piled high, with my one small box of lime jello. I paid my 85 cents and practically ran back to my car. The grocery store is scary the night before Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

John Hanscom said...

There is an old joke about a man such as this looking at the turkeys left in the display case. He asks the grocer, "Do these get any bigger?" The grocery person replies, "No, sir. They're dead."