Saturday, June 16, 2007

Happy Father's Day


Dad and I on the Tram
Originally uploaded by Prairie Brown

I know this is a day early, but I'm afraid I'll forget if I wait until tomorrow, since I'm headed to the airport so early in the morning for my trip with Michael's mom. I just wanted to tell you, Dad, how special you are and how much I appreciate all the great things you do for me.

For those of you out there who don't know my dad, let me tell you a little bit about him. He's the type of dad who is always involved in what his kids are doing. He never missed a basketball game, soccer game, or track meet (even though I wasn't very good at any of the sports I tried, and often would only play for a minute or two). He would come straight from work to track practice and help coach the team. He would often drive a car-full of giggling teenage girls to away games so we wouldn't have to ride the school bus.

For my 13th birthday, he rented a beach house and took me and three of my best friends to the beach for a weekend adventure. My dad is very big on adventures, and he's always planning something fun. When I was 14 and madly in love with the New Kids on the Block, but too afraid to mention that I'd love tickets to a show, because I was sure my parents would think it was dumb, I found five tickets under my dinner plate one night. He drove my sisters, one of my best friends, and me all the way to Seattle to see the show, because they weren't playing in Portland.

This love of showering his children with attention and planning adventures continues up to today. The picture above is from a trip he planned last summer, starting in Palm Springs and going up the California and Oregon coasts. He's taken Michael and I on several trips to the Washington coast, and is helping to finance our Hawaii trip later this summer.

Another thing I should tell you about my dad is that he loves to build furniture for his kids. Each of us has several pieces of specially-designed furniture to make people ooh and ah when they come into our homes. Ever since my first college dorm room, when he designed bookshelves that made me the envy of everyone who came into the room, I've had the best living spaces of anyone my age, thanks to him. Michael and I currently have a living room full of his designs, and people still walk in and admire his handy work.

I could go on and on, but what I think I'm trying to say is, "Thanks for everything Dad! I love you!"

No comments: