Friday, June 22, 2007

Home Again!


Denver Vacation, Red Rocks Amphitheater
Originally uploaded by Prairie Brown

I got home early Wednesday evening from our wonderful, fun-filled vacation in Denver. All of my trip pictures are up on Flickr now, so just click the picture above and it should take you to the rest of the vacation pictures. We saw a lot of interesting things in Denver, my favorites being Red Rocks Park, The Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave, and the Denver Art Museum. Mostly though, I appreciated just getting to spend time with Berta and Emily, and getting to know each of them a bit better than I did before the trip. Many, MANY thanks to Berta for organizing everything!

I've been busy since I got home. Yesterday, Michael and I went on a shopping adventure to get some gear we've been wanting for a while: roller skates for me, roller blades for him. We have often been jealous of the people at Green Lake who glide by us on skates, and we decided to give it a try for ourselves this summer. As neither of us is very advanced yet, we've found a tame little park in Shoreline to practice in until we're ready to go to Green Lake without wobbling.

It's shaping up to be a really busy summer. I had a surprise phone call this afternoon from the chairperson of the ESL department at NSCC, asking me if I could teach an advanced speaking and listening class this summer. The class that was available fit perfectly with my summer Loft schedule, so of course I said I'd teach it. Now I have two days to develop a syllabus before the first class meeting on Monday. And one of those two days is already claimed by Hope's bridal shower! Eeep! (Fortunately, I have a good course outline from the department, and the textbooks have already been ordered, so I'm not overly concerned about the short notice.) I'm really looking forward to this class. I enjoy working with the ESL students in the Loft, and I've enjoyed the ESL students I've had in my developmental writing classes, and my favorite part is always conversation skills, which is the focus of this entire class. I'm sure I'll learn a lot of interesting stories by the end of the summer. I do love meeting people from all over the world!

No comments: