Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Roller Skates and Snorkels

You know, roller skating is a lot harder than it looks (or than I remember it being when I was a kid). We spent some time on wheels in the little park this afternoon, and my legs actually hurt a little bit after the effort. It's that good sort of hurt that you get after exercise though; the type that comes after using muscles that apparently haven't been used for a while. I think I'm going to really like skating once I get used to it again.

I definitely like snorkeling though, even not ever having doing it before this summer. We hit the pool after our skate, and although it was too cold for Michael, I spent a very enjoyable half hour paddling around with my Hawaii snorkel gear on. I learned to dive today--and I'm actually pretty good at it! We're still playing around with Michael's mask and mustache, trying to figure out how much mustache he can keep and get a good enough seal on the mask to put his face in the water and breathe through the snorkel. I'm afraid he might end up looking a little bit goofy in Hope and Peter's wedding pictures, but really, a mustache is a small price to pay for being able to see under water. How often are we going to be in Hawaii?

1 comment:

John Hanscom said...

There is a hidden danger to snorkeling, as our friend Jim Burns (daddyjim) will attest.

When we were in Hawaii, we went snorkeling. It was beautiful.

Jim discovered, the hard way, the water acts as a magnifying glass, and got very, very sunburned, to the point he was abed for part of the vacation due to, essentially, burned skin.

So enjoy, but be careful not to be in the water for too long at a time. You do not want to look like a lobster at the wedding.